summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, May 21, 2009

phew, it is warm out...

And of course no one knows where my camera is. I am wondering if Benjamin Paul borrowed it to take pictures of under the hood of his car - he is attempting to put the engine from his smashed up car into another pontiac that is the same, only not smashed up. Yes, these two vehicles have a cozy home in our driveway. He might have been taking pictures, to help remember how things go....in my humble opinion, he is crazy. He should have someone who knows what they're doing help him, but it comes down to $.....

So, that is why I have not taken pictures of the kids in the front yard playing in their pools. One of the pools has an inflatable roof thing on top, which keeps them shaded. It was nice for Camille....not that we have been in the front yard much today, no, we went shopping. I had a great idea this morning. Not a responsible-real life - adult idea, but a great idea nonetheless. Evelyn, Suzanne, Sonja could skip school and go to Target with me!!! (Sonja and Jon got giftcards for their birthdays, and Sonja wanted a new bathing suit, and they are on sale this week)....so, I got them all ready for school, and asked them if they wanted to go. Of course, since they are not responsible adults either, they agreed that it sounded like fun! So after getting Jon and Charlotte Claire and Camille ready, and the pup fed and pooped and peed and caged, off we went. I left a note for Mirielle and Abigail to take her out when they got home from college.

We got in the van, and I realized it had been over three hours since my bagel. I knew I would start getting shaky in the store, and we decided to go to McDonalds for 6 one dollar chicken sandwiches. And two orders of fries. I only had two fries. Well, maybe three or four. But no more than four.....anyway, as soon as we got into the store, they had to go PEE!!! I did what any responsible adult would do, I waited outside the door with Camille and Charlotte Claire and sent them all in....it seems more logical than bringing the little ones in to collect germs and play with the hand dryer.


Then, Jon magnanimously let me look at the clearance clothes before we got to the main reason for shopping, the toys. He learned to recognize the "50% off" and "75% off" signs. I have noticed that if I talk to them and include them in what I am doing, they don't get bored as quickly, and they are much better behaved.

On to the toys. Oh man, what did I get myself into? Suzanne has birthday money. Evelyn has no money, but can she please get a Barbie too, and pay me back when her birthday comes in August? Charlotte Claire was walking, and she just kept picking things up and showing me...and the two with the gift cards were overwhelmed with options....and of course I am such a cheapie, I don't buy toys at regular price. I found myself discouraging their suggestions....I mean, $15 for one Barbie? Crazy. Jon settled on a Fisher-Price bubble mower, which is just his thing. Sonja got some sort of Barbie, and the other two didn't get anything. Suzanne didn't want to get something I wasn't thrilled about, so she was pouting and feeling sorry for herself....by the time we got into Price-Chopper, she was regressing to how she used to act in stores, falling on the floor, and moping. I do not allow hands or butts on store floors, so she had to get up an walk. When we got cookies at the bakery (they give them free to the kids), she just kept her head inside her shirt....I just ignored her and took the cookie and Jon ate it. The kids solved it themselves by pushing her in a cart. She was much better, especially when she found some good stuff in there to buy with her birthday money. I told them that when they get their hopes up about getting something, they are just opening themselves up to spirits of greed....then they are so unreasonable when they can't have somesthing. I can see them struggle with wanting to please me, and wanting to have their way.

They got their helium balloons, then we got in line....ooh, fun, six kids and lots of groceries. I didn't mean to buy so much. Jon's balloon went up to heaven, but he wasn't too sad. Home we went....brought in the stuff, took care of pup, put on their suits, and went outside. I brought them out their lunch, and most of them are still out there. Camille is sleeping though. I needed a break from the sun. I have lots of fruit to cut up for dinner. Mali did the dishwasher, and Kathryn cleaned up the livingroom for me. I still have a lot to do, though. And here I sit.

Kathryn found my camera. Sorry, Ben!

Dinner tonight: fresh rolls (24 for $2.99), olive loaf and sliced turkey. Tossed salad, and fruit, if I ever get my lazy self out of this chair and go in and cut it up....I have a cantaloupe, a honeydew, strawberries, and grapes. I think it is good all together.

The older kids are going to the youth meeting tonight, so it is good to have an easy dinner. If there is such a thing with all of us. I notice the kids are eating bananas. It is almost time for dinner. Great. Now I will hear, "I am just not hungry, mom!!!' And gosh, when you read all the articles about eating disorders and such, you can't just MAKE them eat. So you let them go, and then hear all evening about how starving they are. And you feel so mean if you don't let them have something. Okay, have a banana...

1 comment:

Martha said...

Yes, bananas, the miracle food; a treat and healthy meal both at the same time!

When you get ready to skip school and go to the beach, email me at poet_tree (at) juno (dot) com.