summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, May 29, 2009

telling it like it is

Kathryn and Margaret stayed home today. Margaret has had a cold, and figured she may as well stay home again today, and just get all her work on Monday. Kathryn missed the bus because I, the observant and capable mom, failed to even notice that she wasn't up with the first trip kids. But don't tell her that. When she came out here all blurry-eyed right as the second trip kids were leaving, I sort of pretended I thought she wasn't feeling well, because it seemed nicer than saying, "Oh Kathryn, I did not even notice that you weren't up!"

So because Kathryn is so nice, and because she felt a little bad that she had passed out pieces of Pop-Tarts to the little girls in the living room, (I sort of flipped out - I thought they were crackers), and I had just finished sweeping, she took the kids outside for about a half-hour. I did some laundry, washed my hair, cleaned up the sinks, swept up the Pop-Tart crumbs, and they were still outside...so I did what tired lazy mother would do: I sat down and put my feet up. I didn't go so far as make the cup of coffee, but still.....as soon as I sat down, in they came! Jon is full of the devil, as my mother used to say. He is being silly and crazy, and the dog is even crazier.

I talked to my oldest daughter, Emily, on the phone yesterday from Norway. She said it costs only a fraction of a krone per minute, however much that is. She was telling me that in Norway, chicken is very expensive, like the equivelent of $12 per pound. And beef: only ground beef in the casseroles is what she's had since she has been there, in late December. She is having a very nice time though. She should be home by Christmas this year.....

I would like everyone to suddenly decide they wanted to live in a clean organized house, and help me with all their hearts for just one day. Bedrooms cleaned and vacuumed and straightened, laundry all sorted and brought from said bedrooms, windows and windowsills washed and shined and sparkly....all bathrooms scrubbed and shiny....heck, if they even help for two hours, I would be glad. Maybe I will start begging.... Last night, we left for the concert before the older kids left. So, I handed Abigail 12 dollars, and told her if they cleaned up before they left, (swept living room and kitchen, dishwasher, counters) they could go for ice cream. They did okay, but in my humble opinion, it was no $12 job. (Am I the ONLY one who sees the stuff around the edges?)

I can dream right?

6 comments:

Janis said...

I have a dream. That one day, all the rooms in the house will be clean at the same time. No wet towels lying in a bedroom, no Polly Pockets strewn across the top of the steps, and no (I MEAN NO) toys in the parents bedroom. I believe it will be in my lifetime. I also believe it won't last more than 3 hours.

Chrissy in Chaos said...

currently my house is spotless - due to my awesome husband who had a blitz when i went out the other morning - he's currently building me a veg plot - it's ace!!

mommeeof10 said...

Hubby is trying to convince me to fix up and sell our house and move back to NY State. If we could sell for anywhere near the assessed value, we could pay off both cars, our current mortgage and credit cards and still buy his mom's house outright. It would be nice to be near our families, but I don't want to sort out and pack 16 years accumulation of stuff. :)

Sherah said...

Oh my goodness, I can so relate to your post!!! Today we had to go out as a family for the morning (DS 8 & DD9 are both on activity club trips this weekend so it was just the 4 little ones + mom & dad) and DH dropped us off at home, then went to do more errands.

I go in to each room and see the remains of lunch on the table, the dishwasher waiting to be emptied, the laundry baskets sitting in the living room waiting to be folded, the toilets that need to be scrubbed. And I thought to myself: why is my house always in a state of disarray? So I comforted myself in the fact that my oldest IS only 9. =)

Then I read your post and...yeah, apparently it doesn't really matter how old the oldest is, LOL!

Anonymous said...

It's funny, sometimes I relate to you as a companion in trying to get better and more attentive to others, and sometimes you make me see things from my mom's point of view... I know she misses me because I'm so far, and I miss her too... I don't really know what my point is, I just never really saw things from my mom's point of view, how i am the grown up kid who got married overseas..
I hope your daughter is having a great trip, there is so much to learn from knowing deeply an other culture!
And she'll get plenty of chicken when she comes back! :)

James Austin said...

This is Martha signing as my son because I do not wish to sign him out of his own computer when he is not home.

I am glad to know that I am not the only one who dreams of a clean and tidy home but knows it is scarcely realistic... When my oldest daughter lived at home she did almost an and every job she saw that needed doing. She was amazing, and to think I took that for granted. Most days I look around and make an internal assessment of what really matters and what will just need to be done again by lunchtime. With a washing machine out of commission, I can't even fake myself into believing I am getting something accomplished...