summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, May 24, 2009

six kids in the kitchen

And here I sit. Sunday morning...ah. I actually slept until eight o'clock this morning, and when I got up Sonja had already taken Rosie pup outside. She had peed in her cage when she saw the kids getting up, and Sonja cleaned it up without even being asked! Sonja just turned 7 years old. What a sweetie.

So I wish I could say I made the kids a nice breakfast, but nah, today they made me a nice breakfast. They are microwaving sausage patties, toasting waffles, and daddy supervised Kathryn making some eggs. Here I sit, and they brought me some breakfast! Kathryn, Evelyn,
Suzanne, Sonja, Jonathan, and Charlotte Claire are out there eating. They are as happy as can be, sometimes they really like to do things on their own. And I am laughing because they are calling their waffles with sausage, "Patty sandwiches", and saying that McDonalds should make them...I don't have the heart to tell them that they already do.....I also don't have the heart to tell them that just because Kathryn is cutting up apples for them, it does not make that breakfast healthy. I do not buy sausage very often because it so terrible for us, but I don't feel like telling them that now. It seems rather cruel. Mommy bought that food, but it is terrible for you. Maybe I shouldn't ever buy it.....oh, the guilt.

Now Charlotte Claire just turned three, and she already knows the phrase, "My tomach hurts", when she doesn't want to finish her food.

We don't have church today, as many of our friends are visiting Ottowa to celebrate two 80th birthdays. It seems strange not to be hurrying around here like crazy.

Last night we (Paul, Mirielle,Joseph, Aaron, Mali, Samuel, his friend, Margaret,and I) watched "Valkyrie", a movie about one of the plots to overthrow Hitler during WWII. Disturbing. But it was heartening at the same time, knowing that the whole country wasn't brainwashed with hate. I am sure there were many many more who were just plain afraid not to go along with the propaganda. I just cannot believe that that many people were that stupid.

Oh, this is sweet, the kids are now cleaning up their breakfast. Kathryn is doling out the orders (hmm, she sounds familiar!), but they are actually listening to her. They are cleaning up the kitchen! I keep thinking that I should go out there, but they seem to be doing fine without me.

Our pool is almost empty....next comes the daunting task of cleaning it out and patching it. I just hope it works, so we don't have to replace the liner. I wish we could just bulldoze it and get a nice inground pool with a diving board....but even as I think that I see how greedy and unthankful it sounds...and the above ground does seem safer for little children. We have a fence around it, and the ladder is taken off when we are not using it.

Sam and his friend are now in the kitchen foraging. When they are all home, the kitchen is Grand Central station. There are still seven of them sleeping. By the time they eat breakfast, the little ones will be wanting lunch....that is just the way it is here. I have thought, for like 2 seconds, about waking them all up and making them eat at the same time, scheduling lunch, ha. Can you imagine how thrilled the teenagers, who have to get up for school early each morning, would be to get up with the birds on Saturday morning to eat together? ( I have also thought for like 2 seconds of getting them all up a bit early on school mornings to do a few chores before they leave. I do know some families that do that. I think my kids are a bit grumpy and sensitive in the morning, and I do not think it sounds like a fun start to their day. )

The movie, "Cheaper By the Dozen", the newer one, is so ridiculous. I remember after that came out, people would say about our family, "Oh, like that movie!"....no, on school mornings we do not have juice on the table in pitchers. On school mornings, they eat what they individually want, except for the younger ones, I make something for them.

I have been thinking about this blog, I have been writing almost daily, mostly twice or sometimes three times daily for almost 2 years now. What surprises me is that I don't run out of things to say, boring as they may be. I write because I like to write, it puts things in perspective for me. Some blogs are very pretty and attractive, I do not care to spend time prettying mine up. (although I do enjoy reading others that are pretty and creative). I also don't have a sitemeter or feedjit. I have no idea how many people read this. I just want to write what I want to. I also DO want readers to find help and encouragement when they read this, because I am well aware that God has given me much grace in my life - I strongly want to share that, and if I seem to elevate myself, I do apologize. He deserves the credit. It would be pure joy to me if even one person who read this turned to Him in times of trial and got help. I also am very thankful for all the "bloggy friends" I have made in these last few years. I enjoy your blogs too, and totally love the comments. So thanks for bearing with me!!!

6 comments:

Piper Paradise said...

I enjoy reading about your family and life. It's fun to hear about how others live!!

AUTISMOMMA said...

Reading your blog is where I start every time I get on the computer. I enjoy reading everything you write, no matter how boring you think it may be.

Approximately two months ago, an acquaintance of mine was getting ready to start a blog and wanted to provide information and tips to those who fit into what she categorized as "the average parent." The only problem was that - gathering from comments she had made - her impression of the average parent was apparently only people who were living lifestyles similar to her own.

Said acquaintance mentioned she didn't want to have one of those "disorganized" blogs where things were just posted haphazardly onto a website. She wanted it to have a focus and wanted comments from others on what they were looking for in a blog. So where am I going with this?

I told her that her impression of what the average parent consists of and what others consider "average" could vary greatly and that I thought she was narrowing her horizons. I also mentioned to her that what she considers "disorganized" and whatever else she mentioned in a negative way could differ from others. I directed her to your blog and told her that your blog is my favorite blog to visit. Additionally, I mentioned that it is an absolutely no frills blog but I love it, nonetheless.

I hope I opened her eyes up to what constitutes a great blog but I don't think I did...

Anyway, as long as you keep writing, I will keep reading - even if you went to an all black & white page with no photos or anything.

Chrissy in Chaos said...

I love reading about your family!! Charlotte Claire (i think) is the same age as my middle one and it makes me feel like i'm not the only one!!

Anonymous said...

ahah the kids doing AND cleaning breakfast sounds like some magical trick... I guess this is what happen when kids have caring parents, they grow up to be independent adults... :)
well as you said your blog is a very god encouragement... more than any article in magazine. Because it's easy to write an article once in a while and pretend to be an ideal mom, but you keep record everyday of your difficulties and successes, and that is very encouraging. :)

Thanks

FLmom7 said...

I like that your blog is uncluttered and uncomplicated (don't we all wish our LIVES were that way? LOL). I love reading your thoughts and all about your family.

Enola said...

I enjoy your blog too. Like Autismomma said, I start with yours. They are organized alphabetically on my side bar and yours is first.