summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

sunny skies

Remember the Sesame Street song? "Sunny day, everything's A-okay.." That is how it is for me today. I have already been up and down those deck steps three times. We have the pump going to empty the big swimming pool, so we can patch the leaks or replace the liner. I have washed out the little pool and started filling it up, as is going to be 84 degrees and sunny today. I got the little girls dressed and helped them bring their cereal outside to the picnic table this morning. That way Wellington could run and romp and we could all be together.



I have to take Wellington to the vet this afternoon for those expensive puppy shots. But we love her, and want to take good care of her. I have been telling the kids that I love them Waaaaay more than I love the puppy, but right now the pup takes a lot of time. I tell them if I spend a lot of time training her, she will grow up to be a nice dog and keep us safe.

I have spent the majority of the day outside today. Toasted peanut butter and grape jam sandwiches, apple slices, milk for breakfast, (Camille threw her entire bowl of Apple Jacks on the floor, so it was her breakfast) leftover sloppy joes and cold lemonade for lunch...plus a snack of water and cheez-its out in the shade. The kids have two pools filled out there, and it kept them busy. At one point I heard a lady yell, "If you spray her with the hose one more time, Mr., I will hold you down and spray YOU!" It sounded just like my mother. Oops, it was me.

Spending the day outside is lots of fun, easy to take care of Wellington out there, too. She just hangs around, takes lots of naps, and gets right into the pool for drinks, which makes the kids just screech with delight. She is the sweetest little pup, I just can't wait for her to stop peeing in the house. I found out that Benjamin takes her outside when he gets home from work at like 1pm each night. She has kept her cage (I mean crate) dry for two days now. So pretty soon she'll stop peeing. Today at lunch, she was wandering around like she wanted to go out, so Jon was going to bring her out....I thought maybe if he was willing to do that, it might work...but he was too slow, and she peed on the tile right inside the door....rats. Then Charlotte Claire yelled: I peed too!! Oh joy, two puddles to clean up. I am thankful for paper towels. I wasn't yet finished cleaning the messes when Charlotte Claire emerged from the bathroom wrapped in a towel.....I could see the bubbles all over her legs...she said, "I washed myself up, mom!" Now how did I lose track of her when I was cleaning up that pee?

Fast forward to this afternoon: I got Camille tucked into bed, Jon and Charlotte Claire were outside playing, Mirielle and Abigail were lying in the sun.....I decided to sit down here in my comfy chair, put my feet up, and write....well, in come Miss C.Claire, and oh joy she pooped in her bathingsuit. Now, a pair of under wear I can throw away, but a cute little blue checked bathing suit with yellow bows? I mean, she has a little sister to pass it down to. So, I cleaned her all up, gave her a huge suit to wear, which she hasn't stopped complaining about, and sat back down. Somewhere out there is a poopy bathingsuit waiting for the nice frugal mom to wash out.

I try to eke out these little times during the day to sit and put my feet up....it doesn't really work, but I am a slow learner, and I just keep trying.....

Well, I need to go wash my long tangly hair and get ready to go to the vet. I always say that it doesn't matter if my clothes are new and fashionable, which they are not, but when going out and about: be clean and neat. Hair and clothes. I can't go mail a letter without brushing my teeth. What kind of neurosis am I passing on to my poor children....? Today, my niece pulled a chair over to the microwave and pulled out her mom's hot water, not only ruining my sis-in-law's potential cup of coffee, but getting second degree burns on her chest and her arm. (I felt mighty guilty because we were talking on the phone at the time, and we all know kids do more bad things when their moms are on the phone)....anyway, she had to go immediately to the doctor, she will be okay, but lots of pain....and I was thinking, "I wonder what Kim had on....I wonder if her hair was clean...." because that would be what I would be thinking. Once, and I am truly ashamed of this now, Sam got whacked in the eyebrow with a baseball.....I waited until Paul got home because my hair was dirty. (to be fair, he WAS due to be home any minute).....anyway, it wasn't too bad an injury, just a butterfly bandage. Anyanyanyway, I am sad for my little niece, she will be okay, but it is hot out and burns hurt....

Mali is giving Wellington a bath so she can also be clean for our trip to the vet. I just hope she keeps her pee and worse to herself on the cartrip....

Rats, dinner!! It must be had whether I am at the vet or not.....I better go foraging....rummaging....digging through the freezer....I wish I had a huge supply of dinners...just add water or something....or maybe I should stop wishing and start planning. hmm.

2 comments:

LivingSimply, SimplyLiving said...

What a great post..You gave me such a giggle more than once.
Thanks for visiting my blog and yes, my daughter is 4 years old. I hope she begins to talk when out and about. She talks to US nonstop..
I love your kids names as well
(I must say I have had my eye on one or two of them..lol..) and I love your BIG family. I love big families.
Love reading about your day..
Today sounded like you enjoyed yourself relaxing in your yard.
I must admit..today I was real tired after an awful night with Leanna so, I had to take a NAP...
I am going to try and enjoy some of the nice weather we are having.
Annmarie

Martha said...

"I try to eke out these little times during the day to sit and put my feet up....it doesn't really work, but I am a slow learner, and I just keep trying....."

Oh, can I relate to this! I must also thank you for the smiles. Life is just so much easier when one can see the humor in "not so funny" situations. (Reminds me of the time someone pooped on the bottom step of a ladder out in the backyard. It was not funny that day...)