summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

do I take my job seriously enough?

Sometimes I wonder that. I have been entrusted with them most precious blessings here. It is a great responsibility to raise them and take care of them. Sometimes they stomp around and say things to each other like, "That IS the last time I am going to tell you!", or "I am getting SICK and TIRED of this...!", and I just wince. Because I have NO idea where they heard things like that. If only they did as I say, not as I do. Then it would be easy.

I have been working with Charlotte Claire about listening to me the first time I tell her something. She is very independent, and she will just go on her merry way, totally ignoring me. This is not her fault. I have let her get away with it. The path of least resistance is easiest, but not good for the child. For example, I tell her not to do something, she does it anyway, and I say, "whatever, not a big deal"...that is teaching her not to listen.

Jonathan is a good good boy. He is soft-hearted and kind and funny and smart, but he has a temper. He gets stubborn, and he gets mad. I am trying to work with him to recognize when he starts to get mad and stop himself....last night he wrecked a perfectly fun (okay, it was a bit crazy, Charlotte Claire didn't quite get it and thought it was a personal insult when the other kids found a match)matching game. He was fine for the whole thing, but then he got mad about something, and just started yelling. I told him to stop, and he swatted at me. No sir, not nice. Absolutely not. I had him sit in a chair, and he was steaming mad. He told me how much he did not like me. I just ignored him. He finally calmed down, and then he told me he was sorry. Anyway, it isn't all fun and games here.

I won't get into all the boring details of all the little things I deal with all day, but there is much work that isn't housework. To teach them respect and how to listen and that screaming fits don't get them what they want....it requires a sacrifice from me. Of course I am on my knees praying for wisdom and patience. God doesn't just give children and walk away.

I have enjoyed my kids more than ever lately. I have just made it a priority to connect with them. Everyone KNOWS that housework is not as important as the kids. Everyone KNOWS that kids grow up fast and we need to listen to them and enjoy them. But to actually DO it is another thing. To put down the broom and pick up the sobbing child...or to listen to a boring dream without strumming my fingers and phase them out, thinking of all the things I should be doing....to actually listen when they answer the standard, "How was your day?"..... Yesterday afternoon I rested on the couch with Jonathan and Charlotte Claire and Sonja, we were just talking about their days. I had to literally lie down so I could concentrate on listening to them....because when I am up and around I get so distracted. I have found that being more diligent to connect with them has paid off though, and it is well worth it.

I need to go wash my long tangly hair because I have to:

1. Go pay the school taxes.

2. Pick up Abigail.

3. take Benjamin to sign up for his GED (homeschooled high school is not recognized in NY state)

4. Mail some bills.

5. Drop Mirielle off at college,

6. Take Abigail, Benjamin, Joseph, Margaret, Kathryn, Jonathan, Charlotte Claire and Camille to Denny's for the free Grand Slam.....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very thought provoking. I might only have a quarter of the children you have, but I still find the issue with fully giving myself and my attention to the children. I'm also aware of and working on this at the moment. It's encouraging to read what you have to say on the subject. :o)

holly said...

I am just curious, but you homeschooled Ben, or he quit school? I am always shocked at the differences states exhibit when it comes to homeschooling. Here in Oklahoma, it is sooo easy to do. Unfortunately, we have to continually fight for it. :(

wakeful dreamer said...

Great post.. you put into words exactly what has been on my mind lately. My oldest is just like CC, in fact one of the conversations we have at least once a week is, "How many times should I have to tell you to do something?" "ONE time." And I want to be the mom that is patient and kind, but too often I get angry or frustrated or distracted from my real goals. And I too hate hearing my words come out of their mouths... it makes me seem so unkind.

I think you are doing a great job. I know you are! And I bet your kids say the same thing.

Bonnie said...

Sometimes it does seem hard to just to stop and spend time with the kids. Not because we don't want to, but because there is always a ton of stuff to do. If I had known before how fast the time passes. I would have spent the first 6 months of their lives doing nothing but holding them and cuddling. Each day is precious and we don't get them back. We just do the best we can. I know that you are. If you are like the rest of us, you are probably a lot harder on yourself than is necessary. Hope you have a great day and Grand Slams too! We miss Denny's!

16 blessings'mom said...

Holly, Benjamin went to public school through 10th grade, then he decided he wanted to homeschool the rest. He thought it was best for him at the time because of intense peer pressure. He has had some college, and is now thinking of joining the Navy.