summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

"fun" day with the kids!

Okay. Last night we watched "American Idol" with the kids. We have 5 girls in a row, ages ranging from 13 down to almost 8, among other children....and those girls love "American Idol". We watch it together, muting the tv during commercials, and enjoying the show. Last night the show ended at 10:00, then three of my sister's girls came over to visit and watch a movie with our older kids...and our younger ones were happy and awake until...too late. Oh well. We had to be out the door by 9:30 this morning for a dr. appointment for Kathryn and Evelyn. The older kids, being on vacation and going to college and whatever, were not available to watch anyone, so I brought the seven youngest with me.

La-dee-da, that sounds easy, I just brought them all with me. ha. But it was so much fun, truly. Camille didn't want just one Tic-Tac, she wanted the whole thing, as we all crowded into the emamination room......so she threw herself on the floor and kicked her feet....the dr. just ignored her , stepped over her, and continued checking Evelyn out. (I ignored her too, and it didn't last too long)...I apologized for bringing them all, and he said he didn't mind at all. He is a gem, he has been our pediatrician since Emily was born. Everyone at that office is kind and understanding. It makes it so nice to go there.

Since it IS vacation, and I promised them I would make it fun for them if they were good in the dr. office, I took them to the Chinese buffet afterwards. Camille opened her silverware, wrapped in the napkin, and offered me the fork. She said she would have the spoon. I didn't want to break it to her that I had one too....everything to her is so new and interesting. They didn't waste TOO much food, and when I couldn't keep the two youngest interested in sitting there anymore, we left and headed to Walmart. Jonathan has some Christmas money left and wanted a Webkin...they were all out, so he got some little trucks. Suzanne bought a baby doll with her birthday money, and Sonja bought a bubble gum machine (yay-I get to babysit a bubblegum machine!) I got them a few pairs of leggings for $3, and some $2 shoes. The wait in line was not really fun. In fact it was a bit like torture. Camille pooped, and therefore refused to sit all the way down in the cart...and she stunk bad. (Is STUNK a word?) Kathryn was sad because she didn't get anything. I was behind a mommy with two kids and a newborn, who had lots of wic checks, which I don't mind, but it took so long. And her baby was in the car seat, gulping and rolling his eyes, and obviously trying to burp or spit up....and his face was turning red, then he started screaming, and the mom gave the little girl a bottle and she stuck it in the baby's mouth....oh, I am sure the mom loves her kids, and I don't mean to judge her....but sometimes it seems like those carseats are overused. The baby was facing me, and she was in front of her cart. She seemed kind of stern, and I was chicken to point out that perhaps she should pick up the baby instead of feeding it more...but I tell ya, my mommy instinct was in high gear, I wanted to unbuckle that baby and rock him and burp him....

Soon after that, after some things scanned wrong and at least a half hour had passed, Camille had another nice little tantrum, right in front of the store...threw herself to the floor and screamed. Lots of people were looking....and I tried not to care. But I was a teeny tiny bit embarrassed. Especially because she reeked. I wanted to make an announcement that we don't all stink, it was just that she pooped. I changed her on the front seat of the van, oh joy, good thing we were parked right next to a garbage can. Then she was so mad that we buckled her in to her car seat, she somehow got her tights off....I don't know how...she fussed about half way home, then she settled down and sucked her thumb. I can't say I never had a two year old like her before, but....the good thing is that when she is good she is very very good.

It is six o'clock, and dinner is not made. The sink is full of dishes, and daddy will be home soon. I am still in my bye-bye clothes. I need to get moving.....

5 comments:

Tereza said...

Sounds like a busy time:) So much for it getting easier when there is no baby in the house huh?:)

Cassandra said...

Seems like everytime we go shopping lately Bailey has one of those tantrums. He just HATES shopping and he is too smart for my bribes now as well lol
This morning we went grocery shoping and i carried Bella into the store while Zac held bailey's hand, Bailey is smart and knows he is pushover so when he saw the trolley he ran into the shop away from me which of course started the other 2 boys running and Andy ran smack bang into the automatic gate (that didnt open) and started screaming. EVERYONE was looking. Bailey was screaming because i caught im and he didnt want to get in the trolley and Andy was screaming about his head... anyway i know how you felt :-)

That is so sweet about Camille and the silverware though. She is such a cutie :-) They are so adorable at that age, I'll take all the bad for just a little bit of good anyday :-)

Cassandra

16 blessings'mom said...

I truly wonder how I survived for all these years....but I still would take another baby in a second!!!

FLmom7 said...

Oh my, I had to laugh while reading this, and I am so sorry! I know it must have been stressful...but I sure can relate to what it must've been like with Ms. Camille and her tantrums and all of that waiting in line and the stink of poop while waiting...oooh boy, lol. I've had more than a few days like that too:)

Bonnie said...

That makes me feel better on so many levels. I always think when one of my kids has a tantrum in the store that a more experienced mother could handle it better. Glad to see that you still have kids who have tantrums! Yay! Not for the tantrum--you know what I mean. We had a pooey diaper at the store a few weeks ago. I was so embarrassed. Worse--it was a "quick" trip, so no diaper bag. We had to get all the way home with a stinky baby boy. Poor Bubba.