summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, January 30, 2010

five below zero

I let Rosie out this morning, thinking it was just too cold to go out....but I had to go get her after a while, because when I call her, she takes off down the road and goes to visit the neighbors. She must think that, "Come on, Rosie, come here girl", means RUN DOWN THE ROAD. But if I just go out and wander around the drive way not looking at her, she will come over and jump all over me and follow me back in the house. She has me trained. If you ever want to buy your kids something fun, inexpensive, and imaginative, buy them a set or two of those large square foam floor squares that fit together like puzzle pieces. We have three sets, and they can make either three long runways for gymnastics, or a large mat to jump around on, or the can make three cube-like houses.....they just have so much fun with them. Of course when 6 of them are trying to play, it seems like we don't have enough squares.....

This morning after I put my camera batteries in the charger, I saw Camille, dressed in a long-sleeved black velvet floral shirt, jean skirt, and snow boots, rocking her baby and singing her the
"Butterfly" song, asking her baby what she should sing to her next...she just sat there singing and rocking her baby, and I knew by the time I got my batteries she would be changing her clothes again or something. I wish I could say that when I charge my batteries I just put the back-up set in, ha. I wish. I KNOW what kind of person I would like to be, but somehow I cannot cross that bridge to become her.

This morning I cleaned out my silverware drawer. I took everything out and vacuumed it, and washed it, washed the plastic holder, and put everything back in all organized. Now it will stay that way. I tell myself these things, and I actually believe them. Now, some people might wonder why one has to VACUUM a silverware drawer. Well, I am a stickler for keeping drawers closed, I am compulsive about it. If I see a drawer open, I might even get up and go close it. Anyway, our s.w. drawer is right at the counter where certain people make sandwiches or butter toast....and certain people do not see the importance of keeping that drawer closed....so every once in a while I realize that there are crumbs in my silverware drawer. rrr.

Tonight is a very exciting and important night: we are going to a hotel! Abigail won a weekend there in a drawing when she was at a bridal show with her friend. She spent the night last night with several of the youth girls from church. She asked how many people she could invite, and was told "as many as you want".....so, she has other plans with the girls this afternoon and tonight, so......seven of the younger ones and I, and my sis-in-law Kim with 4 of her kids......are going to stay there! It doesn't have a pool, but it is a suite designed for the bride to stay with her bridesmaids, so it is huge. So Kim and I will be there with our 2 two-year olds, my three year old, her 4 year old, my five year old and 7 and 8 and 10 and 11 year olds, and her 9 and eleven year olds.

Charlotte Claire has packed several bags in honor of this trip. Bags stuffed with toys and pull-ups....I told her she only needs ONE pull-up, but she says she needs extra. They are all busy showering and planning and just generally being excited. We are all traveling in the same van, so we don't have tons of room for everything. Plus, I feel a bit sheepish bringing them all in with bag upon bag.....we have to bring microwave popcorn, and lots of soda, and we are ordering pizza....it is going to be fun! That is what I am telling myself, anyway. There is that niggling voice that keeps saying things like: No one is going to sleep. Someone will barf. Camille and Charlotte Claire are going to be silly and crazy. They will be up at dawn. You will have a massive headache and your back will hurt. But I am immature enough to drown out those little things and be excited, because we are GOING to have FUN!

No comments: