summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, January 9, 2010

taking a break...

I am not good at my job. True statement. I cannot keep the clothes organized. Well, all their "bye-bye" clothes are hung up and neat and clean...but play clothes and pajamas...they grow, and drawers get messy and certain three year olds try things on...so today I spent a considerable amount of time trying to sort through some clothes. It is better, but far from perfect.


Emily and Mali are making pastry. They have been working on it for hours. And I sat down for a break, and spent the entire time, until now, reading about international adoption, again. From what I have read, it seems that Ethiopian adoption might be possible. Some countries have limitations on how many children the family can have. And some have age limitations for the parents. It is a longshot that we would actually do this, but I would love to. I know it is a long and expensive process....which doesn't sound fun. And the homestudy sounds like a nightmare. Anyone have any comments on homestudies? I am thinking that when anyone involved with the adoption process found out how many children we already have, they would laugh their heads off. But I can dream.....

I need to head out into the kitchen and see what is for dinner....that is, what I should make for dinner. Macaroni and Cheese? We had spaghetti last night, so that's out. I have three pizza crusts, but that won't do us any good. I am just bad at this job, I tell ya.

Eleven of the kids, Rosie, Paul, and I are in the living room. They are watching "Monsters, Inc.", which is such a cute movie. And I am stalling...I need to get moving...

6 comments:

AUTISMOMMA said...

You read Christine's blog, don't you? I thought I recalled seeing an occasional comment or yours over there, but if not, here is the address:
http://smilesandtrials.blogspot.com/

If you read her blog, you already know Christine is the adoption guru and if don't read it, it's worth knowing. If you're really serious about the possibility of an international adoption, perhaps you could contact her directly for help with any questions or help, in general.

JCF said...

My in-laws adopted an 8 year old boy from Uganda two years ago, and they found the home study to be a breeze. I remember that they were really stressed about it, but it turned out well. Their case worker wanted to see what the accommodations were for the child, asked questions about discipline and how the house hold runs, and made sure safety precautions were in place (fence around the pool, no unsecured weapons, etc.).

Martha said...

My friend Sheri and her husband are in the process of adopting form Ethiopia. Her blog is here...
http://allglorybetogod.blogspot.com/

Karen said...

Check out this blog. They have adopted from Ethiopia and are in the process of adopting again. http://overthemoonwithjoy.blogspot.com.

Kerry said...

At the time of our homestudy we had 4 children. When we were contacting workers we also had 3 foster children, and NO ONE wanted to talk to us because we had too many children already. This was for older child domestic adoption.

I don't know of any countries that don't have size restrictions, and it's rather expensive. I would suggest talking to someone from your church to see if they sponsor anything.

Jenny said...

Have you read Mary at Owlhaven.net?
Her family has a dopted twice from Ethiopia, and also Korea. She is an encyclopedia of information!