summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, January 10, 2010

sunny and cold....

Sunshine! It is only about twenty degrees out, but we'll take it. The pool surface is bumpy from the great "throw things in the pool" day the kids had a few months ago. They wanted to see how frozen it was, so they added a cooler and a few toys...and they froze right in. They DID get in big trouble for going inside the fence....
These were taken from my kitchen window.




Paul is taking Rosie-the-bad-dog for a walk for me. She always wants out, and we can't let her go without the leash. She nips at Sam and Mali, so they don't want to take her. I think she just wants to play, and they should just be more firm with her....I asked Ben to take her out, and he said he would in a minute which turned into an hour...I really don't mind taking her every few hours, but it is very cold out and I have a headache. Oh, I would if I had to, but there ARE other people here today.
I found a treasure this afternoon: an Aldi bag with tons of Halloween candy in it. Tootsie Rolls, Snickers bars, Hershey's bars, Starburst, Twix.....I dumped it into a bowl, and told the kids they could have a few pieces. Last I checked, at least half was gone. All I had was a Tootsie Roll and a small Snickers. Suzanne grabbed the full-sized one, which is good, because I have a great weakness for those. Not that there is any candy I don't like, not that I can think of anyway. Well, I don't care for the salty licorice from Norway. There, one thing.
While I was cleaning up the kitchen today, I found alot of sin. In me. Okay, I just cleaned out the microwave the other day. Very nicely, took at least 15 minutes. Today, it was covered in spatters. Rrr. I also just cleaned the stovetop, no easy chore. When I am cooking, I am careful not to get stuff all over it...but someone around here ....rrr. And the dishes: rinse your dishes! I do not have more time than you have! Yes, so you get the picture. Oh, I was tempted to make up rules and get after everyone and make signs....and yes, maybe I should do some of those things. But the fact is: I have sin. I get irritated. I get upset. I can blame it on whoever I want, but it is still MY sin. Part of life is learning to clean up after yourself, and I do try to teach them that. Of course. I don't just sing happy songs and clean up after them. But it is the ANGER and I-want-to-slap-them spirit that I need to get at. The mess isn't the real problem....it just BRINGS UP the real problem. I was therefore able to become a happy person, cleaning up that kitchen. It helped that most of the older ones that made the messes weren't there to nag at, so I had to either fume or take it right. ha.
The grass is always greener. I have a good life, I guess contentment is just not in my nature. I get so antsy, and I want to do this and that and go shopping and plan things....so today, I think I will move the furniture around in the living room. Oh, the age-old housewife's fun.



2 comments:

Tereza said...

wow those are some icicles!

Discontent is in my nature too and I find the same issues bring it up in me as well! Glad ou could take it right today!! One day at a time.

Anonymous said...

Oh I get upset when people don't clean up after themselves when they cook.. But I guess that's because I clean it most of the time, and it seems to magically clean up to them..
Oh well..
I hope you feel better soon. Have your period sucks. Especially when you desire a new baby.. :(
Hope you get something comforting this evening! :)