summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

62,00 JOBS LOST

Okay, the headline from today's newspaper is alarming. The article it headed was even more so. I am no economist, but things do seem to be spiraling downward. It seems to me it is like a viscious circle, the more panic there is, the less spending, the more uncertainy, less investment, - so closings and downsizings......I even thought today that maybe I should just stay home, and not go to the store for margarine....

Anxiety. It is written well in Matthew about this common affliction. The question is asked if it can add one cubit to your life, to be anxious. So why do people suffer in it? Well, for me, it is a simple battle of the thoughts. It is written in the bible to seek first God's kingdom first, and all things will be added to you. So, first of all, how do I do that....

Every thought that come into my head has a root. Most thoughts are rooted in sin. Critical thoughts, judging others, snippy comment thoughts, ect....I have a choice, thought after thought, day after day, whether to agree with these things and give them a nice cozy home in my body, or whether to say NO! When I agree with all the sinful thoughts, giving in to worry, not being thankful, thinking it is unfair about this or that, then that is what I am filled with. There is no oil in my lamp. Everything is difficult, and sacrifice is nearly impossible. But when I am faithful to God in my every thought, then I become pure within, and my actions that follow will also be good. To take up this battle against sin is so simple, yet so blessed. If you just cleanse the outside of the cup, the inside will still be filled with corruption.

I had lunch with two of my friends yesterday, both Christians, P. has seven children, and A. has eight (and a husband in remission from esophogeal cancer). One of the things we talked about is how good it is to be with those who don't complain about everything, and who aren't going to backbite as soon as we walk out of the room. For instance, P., a nurse, said that at work, it would be enjoyable, but the backbiting that goes on, makes you pretty sure they are talking about you, too....And just being with A., who has had trials beyond comprehension, and she is still glad and thankful, is nothing short of miraculous.

So, after reading the newspaper this morning, it was just on my heart to really be an example during the days here on earth, to live what I know to be right. Not that I am anything special, or gifted, but that I can be faithful in my trials. I just want to encourage anyone who reads this, it is possible for YOU to be pleasing to God, no matter what your circumstances. He is truly equal-opportunity!

So, today, I would like to stay home and take a nap. Camille is getting some molars, and I am thinking that is why she was up for a few hours last night. I finally came out and gave her some infant Tylenol drops, and after she fell back asleep, she stayed asleep until just a few minutes ago. But, I do not think a nap is in the picture today, as I sort of need a few things from the store. I am doing my part to help the economy....

1 comment:

Kathyb1960 said...

My brother-in-law who works for TI (Texas Instruments) got laid off this morning. They knew there was going to be some, but he had been with them for over 20 years, and made REALLY good money--which is probably why they laid him off. But he'll survive--after he whines and mopes around awhile.