summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, January 15, 2009

one degree outside

I waited in the car for almost two hours today, for Mirielle to take her placement exams, and register for classes at a local college. Here is what it looked llike from the car window. I was a little bit bored, but I got my purse cleaned out and organized, and then I realized I had my MP3 player, fully charged and loaded with Queen and ABBA. I turned the car on every little while, then off again,....if I knew she would be that long, I would have shopped longer. Wrestling.....


And watching a movie on a cold night....

Camille relaxing with a ba-ba...




It is so cold in here. The older girls, Abigail, Mirielle, Mali, Margaret, and Kathryn are "puzzling", as they call it. Their lives have been made easier by a neat thing that Emily and I found that morning we were stranded at Wal-mart. It is a mat that the jigsaw puzzle is placed on, and when it needs to be picked up and put away so that little children don't destroy it, it is simply rolled up....magic.








So, they are puzzling. Joseph and Samuel are playing Wii. The little ones are tucked into bed. Aaron is working on a report for school. Paul is on his computer, and I am obviously on mine. The girls want me to join them, and I just might.
Our school has already been delayed for 2 hours in the morning, which means the older kids go at 9:30, and the younger ones at 10:30. It is going to be windy and snowy, which makes it even colder......I do talk too much about the weather....Emily says the weather in Norway is much more stable, more boring even. She is together with young people from all over, and the language mix is quite interesting to her. Hungarians, Ukranians, Poles, French, a Kenyan....all learning Norwegian.
So, since I went with Mirielle today, I did not go look at cars. This that I put off today, will be done tomorrow. I will have to wear my sneakers, as I have no boots. I will look like a farmer. Who cares, though. Well, me I guess.
I really need to get more organized. I feel like my attention is being pulled in so many directions. Contacts for Mali and Aaron, braces for Margaret, new car, spelling words, don't dry Ben's sweatshirts, Suzanne's snack, Charlotte Claire's sore toe.....which I think I may have to bring her to the dr. for. The big toe, she got it caught with a heavy door on New Years, and the nail is hanging on for dear life. It looks a little red, and feels a little warm. I have been keeping it clean, and I put triple-anti-biotic on it tonight, after soaking it with peroxide....then I bandaged it up.....I do not want to bring her to the dr, because if he removes the nail, I may just go down.....poor little thing.
Well, I think I may go puzzle with my girls.

3 comments:

Morgan said...

It was negative 6 at our house yesterday. BRRRR!!!

16 kids- that is pretty cool! I would have loved to have that many children. Mine are all c-sections, though, so it won't happen. Plus, my husband says 5 is going to be it.

How do you afford having so many kids, if you don't mind me asking? This is the #1 concern for my husband- just how we would be able to get by financially with more than 5 kids.

Joni said...

As you said before, Minnesota is in a real cold snap. Our kids have school off for the second day in a row, and it's very unusual they'll call school off - sometimes delayed 2 hours. Anyway, just now at 10:30 a.m. it's still -12F. It was -24 when I got up to see if school's still just delayed or have they canceled it. So when we're up to +5, it will probably feel like spring has sprung!

Amber said...

Poor baby. My daughters nail did just that right before it came off. I never took her to the dr but I did call and he said to do just what you are doing with your daughter. I went to work one weekend and my mother kept my daughter. The nail was just hanging on and she put her on the counter and ripped it off. Baleigh didn't even know she did it. Guess by that point it was numb. I would've passed out in the floor if I had been there. I'm very good at getting wet wrags for sickness and injuries but other than that i'm useless..haha