summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, January 26, 2009

time just flies

My three little elementary girls are still waiting for the bus, it is running late this morning. There are six kids on first trip, and just these 3 on the second trip, an hour later than the first. I just had to pop this one in of Camille. She does wear clothes sometimes, though mostly pajama sleepers. She was offended at the nice little sweater coat, and struggled with it until I relented and took it off.


There is nothing new under the sun. Time flies: it has been said, written about, observed, lamented. Writing daily on this blog sort of cements that for me. I log on, and go to write the title for the day's post, and lo and behold: I have written "monday morning" so many times already....yes, the days go by.
So, along the same lines, Sonja lost a tooth -oh, two weeks ago or so. She put it under her pillow, and the tooth fairy has not come yet, she says. oops. That forgetful toothfairy. I told her this morning that our tooth fairy is pretty stupid, but once in a while she leaves something really wonderful. Evelyn and Suzanne went on to tell the stories of when the tooth fairy left them lots of money, or prizes.....guilt offerings.....
I survived the weekend. Somehow. We had a nice dinner last night, I made scalloped potatoes, baked a ham, and we had broccoli with it. Paul had gone to the store for dogfood, and gotten some ice cream for dessert. After dinner, we sit at the table and talk for a while, the little kids get washed and get down one by one.....and we discuss who's turn it is to do the dishwasher....last night we decided on Joseph. Aaron washing pans. Mirielle sweeping. Margaret washing table, clearing. Mali clearing. Someone cleaning up the high chair, ect....well, imagine my surprise when I got up this morning and there was a stack of dirty plates on the counter....I should know by now not to react too quickly...and the pans weren't washed. Aaron was waiting for the bus.....his defense: he was waiting for Joe to do the dishwasher, to do the pans after, and then he forgot. I talked to Joseph: he DID do the dishwasher, those plates just didn't fit. Okay, could you have at least rinsed them off?? I don't like to come down too hard on them, but I do get after them when they shrug things off like that. I did soak the pans, I can't just leave them there, but Aaron has to wash them when he gets home from school. I realize that because of the sheer size of the family, the chores they have to do are going to be more taxing than most kids have, but we do spread it around, so no particular child is overworked. The girls do tend to do more around here than the boys, and they don't think that is fair. So I try to get the boys to do a bit more.
Well, Jonathan and Charlotte Claire are up now, I just changed Miss Charlotte, and I already made her a bottle of juice....but I should go....




3 comments:

Victoria.M.Paulik's Life said...

lol i remember the days when i ''believed'' in the tooth fairy. one time i had one of my side teeth pulled at the dentists and my dad was there and my dentists told me as she haded me the tooth''the tooth fairy should give you something good for this one. '' the next morning i awoke to find nothing under my pellow. i was a bit upset about this so i told my mother (who i knew was one of the both of mine) and she told me ''did you check under your bed and sure enough right there under my bed, sat a snow globe. the design was beautiful, around the bais were vines and pink ribbons which were in beautiful little bows in four places. on the inside stood a carrousel horse, in midair on its little pole as if it were prancing around, in it's little glass world. and instead of little white pieces of glass, sparkles floated and fluttered around in the water. and what would be a beautiful snow globe with out a music box in it. i would played over and over. and the sweet little tune still plays in my head. i have to say that was the best thing i had ever got from the tooth fairy. i would still have it if my little sister didn't break it 5 months ago . =( t in our house i do the dishes, & clearing and washing of every dish, counter, table & sink. on school days i do it twice and weekend days i do it three times or more. and i have been doing it sense i was 7 or 8.... some days i do all of that and the bath room, and no dugh i still have a room that must be clean, too.

mommeeof10 said...

My 16 yr old always does the dishes. She does not like her routine disrupted (part of the mild autism). She just wants to do the same job all the time. So she does the dishwasher and has her 13 yr old sister help her with the pots and pans.

AUTISMOMMA said...

I think the doling of your chores to children sounds very fair. I have to wonder about whey you say your children probably have more chores than a lot of other kids, considering too many parents out there don't have their child lift a finger to help out around the house. Keep up what you're doing - I can tell just by your posts that you are a great mom and teaching your children well...and sometimes that means they have to do chores.