summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

wednesday

I was thinking lately how last year at this time I really wanted to replace my 16 year old living room carpet. I just couldn't stand how awful it looked, even with vacuuming. So, I went out looking for new stuff, getting prices. Paul and I discussed it, and decided we would go with hardwood flooring instead. Of course we wouldn't pay to have someone else do it, we would put it in...and here we are. Haven't started anything yet. Same old carpet. 17 years old, now. And, I am still alive. And happy.

We got alot of new snow last night. We picked up the minivan, and Paul drove the truck back home while Mirielle, Mali, Aaron, Jonathan, and I headed to the vision center with the new van. It drives quite nicely. And it's a heck of a lot easier to park than our big white one. We spent so long at the contact appointment, that we didn't start our grocery shopping until 8:00. The deli was closed, the meat dept. was closed, and they were out of some of the meat I had gone for.....we hurried and finished up by 9....but it was snowy and the roads were not plowed....so getting home was slow going. Needless to say, I have bags all over the kitchen with groceries in them.....the cold stuff was put away, and that's it.....

Meal plans: I bought a ham, we can have one nice meal with that, then save leftovers for potato soup, and scalloped potatoes. I bought a small package of sausage to put in lasagna, and also some ricotta cheese. I bought shredded mozzarella for the lasagna, plus for pizzas. Hamburger was waaay too expensive. So I didn't get any. I bought some small packages of chicken breast strips, fresh stuff, it was cheap. I will make some chicken alfredo, and some soup with it. The pasta was all on sale, and I bought linguine, shells, penne, angel hair. It's nice to have some variety for cheap. As for beans and peas: neither Paul or I can tolerate them. I absolutely love them, and make pea soup sometimes anyway, but I suffer for it, horrible stomach aches. We really like chili, too, but it is the same thing. Why am I writing this?

Anyway, every item we put in the cart is a decision. There were only a handful of things that were not on sale, and we used lots of coupons, too. We still spent $300........oops. But we do have some plans, and hope not to be in that dinner dilemma thing for at least a week....

Today is a stay at home day. I have big plans. ha. Camille was such a brat last night, she woke up, I nursed her and got her back in bed, then she kept making noises....just when I would doze off, she would make some little sounds, like she was about to cry. Then she would find her thumb again. Once, she cried and I jumped up to get her before Paul woke up, and she found her thumb again....and there I was, awake.....then she woke up for good at 7:15, prime getting-kids-ready-for-school time....She is almost ready for a nap, and what a coincidence, so am I....that's the thing about me, unless I am extremly motivated, I will take the nap....if I get the chance....I love naps. Waste of time, but oh, so snuggly. Obviously, I don't always get the chance.....

My fifth grader came home from school and said, "my teacher said anyone who doesn't like Mr. Obama is racist"........What? Now, to me that kind of thinking puts us BACK 50 years....oh well, enough of that....the kids all did watch the inaugeration in school. We did come a long way as a country, I suppose. But I still remember his stance on abortion, and that has nothing to do with his race.....

My mother always said, never talk about politics......they were the great divide.

My life will be getting busier, and more normal soon. Abigail goes back to college tomorrow, wah. And Benjamin and Mirielle have started. I will not have them here to babysit, or give me a hand shopping. I will have to go back to being creative, and fitting things in.....because not only will they be gone at all odd hours, they will have the dreaded homework.

We finally ordered the new part for my sewing machine, last week. It should be in any day now. I have gone over a year without sewing, and I cannot wait to start again. I have so many projects to do. I may have to cut back on my blogging, because I can only eke out so many minutes of free time....oh, when I have a sewing project going, I have to be really careful. I just want to get it done.....and I leave other things....but, a new shower curtain for the main bathroom....and new curtains for the living room...and one of those shopping cart covers for Camille....and some new overalls for her, too....and spring is coming....sundresses for all the little girls. Mirielle can sew, too.....

Well, things need to be started around here....namely laundry. And here I sit....

1 comment:

FLmom7 said...

I love naps too...maybe a waste of time, but very good for your sanity;-) That is great that you were finally able to order your sewing machine parts. I haven't sewn in years, I never was very good at it. I hope you enjoy sewing again!