summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, January 4, 2009

oh, they are so sick, again

Here is the cake Margaret and I made for New Year's. The snowmen are marshmallows on toothpicks. I like to do fun things like this. And here is my lovely niece Audrey, who must have wanted me to put a picture up here, since she took so many great ones on the camera that was in her mom's purse. Nice kitty cat, too.

Well, we didn't end up going anywhere last night, we were going to order pizza, which we never do, then Paul decided that the pizza we make is so much better. So, Evelyn adn I went to town, and bought some pizza crusts/dough, mozzarella, soda, and icecream for dessert. We put the pizza together, and had our pizza party. Then the icecream. Oh, the grasshopper pie icecream....and the choco-holic.....made from a local dairy, still a half-gallon, and yummy.
So, we get all the little kids in bed, and watch a funny movie called, "Office Space" with the older ones. Camille was bright eyed and bushy tailed, so we let her stay up quite late. Anyway, later after my shower, I got into bed, and she woke up. I got her out of her little pink bed, and she started (warning, gross!) throwing up all over me. I needed a second shower, and she got her third bath of the day.....anyway, she did it a few more times, changed her washed her up, the laundry pile was growing, and I was throwing stuff into the washer, and I finally settled her into bed sometime after 2am. At 4:30, Kathryn came into our room to tell us that Sonja was throwing up in her bed. Top bunk. Joy. Paul took care of the bedding, and I took care of Sonja. I was getting her into the shower, and she said, "I pooped my pants, too..." More joy. We got her all cleaned up and settled back into clean bedding. The laundry pile was growing by leaps and bounds. I was switching laundry at 5am. Some things can't wait. But all the while I was thinking about something I read on Shel's blog, about her washing machine.....she was thankful for the children who dirtied all the clothes. Because I was so tempted to start grumbling how we needed another washer...blah, blah, blah. No, I do not like the throw up bug. No, I do not like laundry. But God sends rain on the just and the unjust. What do I see in it all? I know He is working in me to be free from my selfishness, and all of that. And one thing that I saw last night, that is very special: Paul was getting up right away when Kathryn came in. And I was sorely tempted to pretend I didn't hear a thing! But I love Paul, and I really wanted to help. So, it's hard to explain, but I was happy when I dragged my lazy self out of bed. I was thankful that I could see what a grump I am, and that I had a chance to be tender and good to Sonja. It makes me sad for all the little kids in the world sometimes, to think how miserable the mommies and daddies can be...especially when the kids are sick....
Oh, I do ramble. Today: Sonja seems fine, just a little under the weather. Paul, on the other hand, is sick. He is laying here on the couch, dozing. Camille is fussy, with one dirty diaper after another. And: the load in the washing machine is refusing to spin.....it is soaking wet. Maybe now it is ready for the dryer, I put it on High Spin, again...
Moana sent me a link to a blog that had a hint how to avoid the throwups, to stop it in it's track. I wasn't able to access it for some reason. So Moana, if you are reading this: Help! If you can paraphrase it, please pass on the secret.
Eight of the kids are parked in the living room watching the Barbie movie, "12 Dancing Princesses"......and Camille is wandering around. She was so funny last night, the way she would be sick, get cleaned up, and just be so happy. Then without warning: barf. Okay, not so funny, I guess.
Oh, last evening: Camille was all wet, soaked. I thought someone had spilled water on the kitchen floor, and she slipped in it. Close, but it wasn't water, I realized when I saw Charlotte Claire pulling off some obviously wet pants and undies. Mirielle was thrilled to find out the crying Camille she was cuddling was all pee-pee. That was bath #2 for Camille. And pretty much a load of laundry for me, including Mirielle's sweatshirt, and the towel for the kitchen floor. Having alot of kids isn't like constant drudgery or anything, but there are moments so challenging, I start to wonder.....
Well, today I am going to take one moment at a time. Charlotte Claire keeps taking sneaky little sips of Camille's bottle, so we all know what SHE will be doing soon. And now, I am off to switch laundry.....

7 comments:

Kathyb1960 said...

I'm not sure if it's the same hint that the other person has that you want, but I think I read somewhere that if someone is fixing to throw up, press on their forehead. Hey! I have no idea if it works, and I didn't make it up, I read it somewhere. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try. Beats me! Good luck!

mommeeof10 said...

I love my front loading washer. It uses less water and gets more water out of the clothes before they go into the dryer, so they dry faster. We live in town, so we have to pay twice for every drop the comes into the house and goes down the drain. We have a sewer bill also. :(

FLmom7 said...

Oh yuck! Vomit! I have heard that activated charcoal stops vomiting within a few minutes, but I'd be careful about using it because with a stomach virus or food poisoning (the 2 main reasons we vomit) your body is trying to get rid of toxins by throwing up. When we have stomach viruses, I cover a large bowl or small trash can with a trash bag to vomit in (easy clean up), keep a box of latex gloves in so when I clean up I don't get sick, use Clorox or Lysol Wipes to disinfect door knobs, light switches, faucets, etc. and just basically let the virus run it's course.

I am glad you remembered my little blog post about being thankful for the children who make the dirty laundry. It certainly helps us when we're feeling tired or grumpy, doesn't it? ;-) I hope your family is feeling better soon and that no one else gets sick.

Cassandra said...

Oh No, i hope it passes quickly for everyone and the laundry pile diminshes fast oh and that you dont get it either....
:-)

cheryl said...

That Audrey.. she's been chasing the kitty around here quite a bit.. I guess she needs something productive to do.. She came downstairs tonight at 12:55 saying she was feeling nauseous (sp?), I asked her if it was because she has to get up in 5+hours for school after a nice long vacation, or is she going to be sick? Anyway, I wish Jon was here tonight.. the girls couldn't get up our road in the van, so Bill slid down the road in his sneakers to help them, then 5 minutes later the big snow plow slid off the road into the field and missed our mailbox by 5 feet.. then a BIGGER plow came awhile later to tow him out.. No one would video it, but I heard Ellen and Audrey watching out their window when they should have been going to sleep. I certainly hope this bug leaves quickly, I guess I shouldn't have made fun of my dessert the other night.

Kim said...

Hmmmm...probably should've read here before sending kids off to school. Eileen was complaining her belly hurt this morning. I put it off as avoiding the worst day of the new year...back to school! I guess I should be anticipating a possible trip to school later today.

Hope the ickies leave soon!

Martha said...

I love your snowman New Year's cake. Your name should be Martha too. ;)