summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, January 11, 2009

ya never know how your day is going to go....

I'll start out by saying that he is okay, Benjamin. But the phone call, oh the dreaded phone call. We had gone to church, came home, gave the kids lunch, I did some laundry, picked up a bit, then got myself a hot cup of coffee, two chocolate chip cookies that we dug out of the freezer, and sat down with the nice thick Sunday paper. I hadn't even dug in to it yet when the phone rang. It's Benjamin. "Hi, Mom, it's me. I'm at the hospital, I got in a car accident. Oh, I have to go, the police want to talk to me...." And he hangs up! What is a mother to do? I did spill some coffee as I got up from my chair to go tell Paul.....my legs were jelly, and I was feeling faint. I called him back, police or no police, after all, I am his mother! He was done with his cop conversation.....anyway, he ran a red light. Oops. Right in front of the police station. Oops. He said it is syncronized with the previous light, and the first one was green, so he was on auto-pilot. Oops. He realized it was red right as he was cruising across the arterial. A pick-up truck smashed right into the side of his car. Smashed the two doors right in. He was taken by ambulance to the hospital, and thankfully he checked out okay. He is a bit sore. The guy in the truck is okay too. Of course, Benjamin has only liability insurance, which covers us if the other guy sues, and pays for the other guy's damage. But only that. Ben will get nothing for his car, which looks to be totaled. But he's okay. It isn't the end of the world. A few years from now, we won't even remember this....


Anyway, it just goes to show, you never know how your day is going to go. So it pays to keep your hair clean....

7 comments:

momstheword said...

I am so glad he is o.k. That sounds like something my 20 year old would say, "At the hospital....oops gotta go" and just leave me hanging!

When I was 19 we did the same with my mom. Told her I cut my foot and noone called her back until she called the hospital and was told I was headed to surgery!

Cassandra said...

Oh Della! i am so glad he is okay :-)

mommeeof10 said...

I'm glad he is okay. He may be sore and stiff tomorrow. I sure was when hubby misjudged the speed of the car behind us a few years ago and pulled right in front of him. Suburbans do not steer out of skids well at 70+ miles per hour. He rolled it, totalled the vehicle, but we were able to walk away.
My oldest still needs more practice before she can take her road test and get her license. I would rather have her drive my 2006 camry with all the airbags than hubby's 1997 oldsmobile or the 2006 chevy van. We have full coverage on all 3 vehicles. Once the olds is full paid for, we may change the coverage.

Anonymous said...

Oh sorry!
I hope he gets better soon!

Enola said...

I'm so glad he is okay.

And I just did the same thing - ran through a red light that was synchronized with the others. My excuse was lack of sleep and coffee.

Martha said...

Car accidents are every mother's nightmare. I've had enough of them too. So glad he is okay.

cheryl said...

My legs turned to jelly, too, when Audrey was talking to Aaron online.. I am so glad he's okay.. too bad about the car, though, it was pretty nice.
Funny you should say that about keeping your hair clean. Sometimes I like to go an extra day, because my hair is better behaved if I do, but I'm too STUPERSTICIOUS!! Even if it's 3 o'clock in the am.. if my hair is too dirty to go to the hospital, it must be washed. It's funny how we think. And cellphones, as convenient and necessary and helpful in situations that they are, they give me psuedo-heart attacks all the time. Hug Ben for me. He's more special than he realizes. They all are.