summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, January 10, 2009

a fresh new morning

Camille certainly gets the attention she needs. Sonja gets some hugs, too.
Charlotte Claire is the dolly queen. All her babies are named "William", and she says they don't talk. She gives them nursies, and changes their clothes. Camille with Kathryn....


Camille with Margaret....


For some reason, the day feels full of promise. A blank Saturday. Well, not exactly blank. Aaron and Mali have to be fitted for their contact lenses today. All the way down at the mall. So, nice mommy that I am, I invited all the little ones to come along. So at least 10 kids will be going with me. The day is very cold, with ice on the branches. We are expecting some more snow tonight. So we need to go while the gettin' is good....
Suzanne had a headache last night, and stayed home from activity club. Mirielle still was feeling off from giving blood, so we were here with Charlotte Claire and Camille. We watched "Supernanny". She teaches people these methods for dealing with the kids, like reward systems, ect. I am no expert, but if I had a show like that, here is what I would do:
1. Parents, take a good look at yourselves. Are you patient? Are you speaking kindly and respectfully to your God-given blessings?
2. Parents, do you think before you speak, and then enforce what you say?
3. Parents, are you quick to admit when you were wrong, or too harsh ?
4. Moms and Dads, do you get down on your knees every night and ask God for wisdom?
5. Moms and Dads, are you seeing your own selfishness, and giving up your time and attention for your children?
6. Moms and Dads, are you working on living for the approval of God, and getting free from what people think of you? (this comes in handy when your two year old is screaming in the store, and people are staring)
7. Don't sweat the small stuff. The bigger deal you make out of something, the bigger deal it becomes.
8. If you need to talk to an older child, remember, they get so embarrassed, so do it privately.
9. Learn to drop it!!! If they get the point, the point does not need to be driven into the ground.
10. There is nothing wrong with humbling yourself, backpedaling, and realizing in the middle of everything that you are being too demanding. God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble. Always.
Oh, listen to me.....all my good advice. But being a mommy isn't just all cuddles and snuggles. These kids grow up to be their own people, and to teach them respect, and obedience without squashing their personalities is challenging. And of course "Do as I say and not as I do" doesn't work here....
And there is absolutely no room for being smug, and judging others parenting skills. God will not like that. Things will not go well for you then. Because, like it says in #10, God is opposed to the proud. What have I been given that I have not recieved?
Oh, and the biggie: mom and dad have to be on the same page. Sometimes Paul and I don't absolutely agree on something, and I have to just wait and talk to him later. To contradict and argue in front of the kids: not good. Again, being "right" seems so important in the moment, but in the big picture, isn't it better to have peace?
Well, here I sit writing all this stuff, while my kids wait for me to get them out their "bye-bye" clothes......


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great advice. I love watching Super Nanny, it's one of my favorite shows but a lot of these gimmicks the kids are going to be bored with within a week or two.

cheryl said...

And when do we, as parents, stop being the parents?? I really needed to take a fairly quick run to the store today, and no one wanted to go with me.. and because my big toe was really hurting, I felt I needed some help! Anyway, I got ready, thinking I'd just go alone, and of course, no one living here was going to be able to eat any of the food I bought, unless, I lectured them first.. All I could think of was the Little Red Hen.. Then, when I was leaving, one of them showed up ready to come with me!! When we were talking in the car, mostly about the work it involves becoming a true servant, I commented that perhaps at a certain age, kids no longer need parenting or guidance? But, I still need parenting and guidance from above, so I guess they still do, too, to some extent. We always make those comments when we watch Supernanny, too.. you've got to wonder how they got there in the first place, not that I'm Mrs. Perfect Mother, but you know what I mean..